From the Archives: the MQM and Karachi
The brutal murder of the MQM’s Dr Imran Farooq in London on September 16, 2010, has sparked more debate about the dynamic and dangerous world of politics in Karachi and Pakistan.
Here are some in-depth feature articles and interviews from Newsline‘s archives that highlight some of the party’s ups and downs over the last decade.
To read a 2003 interview with Dr Imran Farooq click here.
Below are other articles related to the MQM and its political history:
- From Election 2002: The Party Begins: The MQM floats new faces for parliamentary seats
- From Election 2002: Interview: Altaf Hussain
- Post-Election 2002: The MQM’s New Reality
- From 2002: Here Today, Gone Tomorrow by Mazhar Abbas; mending fences with the establishment
- From 2006: Fast and Loose: In coalition with the Musharraf regime
- From 2007: The Day Karachi Bled: May 12, 2007
- From 2009: Kings of Karachi by Ayesha Siddiqa
- From 2009: Interview: Haider Abbas Rizvi, Deputy Parliamentary Leader, MQM
- From 2010: The Battle for Karachi by Amir Zia
- From 2010: The Politics of Expediency by Amir Zia; on Karachi’s never-ending ethnic turf wars